Re: BLOB and performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:54:57 +0100

My rule of thumb is to use the O/S
for small numbers of very large objects
and the database for large numbers of
small objects. The latter because it
is (seems) easier to keep a catalogue
of millions of items in a database anyway and filesystems are a bit awkward to
handle when you start tracking very
large numbers of objects.

The choice of in-line / out of line for storage may be a moot point for your system, and the 8K sizing means you may want to play around with block and CHUNK sizes at the smaller end of the scale to avoid wasting lots of database space.

--

Jonathan Lewis