Re: Newbie Q: Does Create Index Lock Table?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:27:21 +1000

"Martin Haltmayer" <Martin.Haltmayer_at_0800-einwahl.de> wrote in message news:399B1264.2CC4226_at_0800-einwahl.de...
> Yes, they do unless you create the index by "create ... index ... online".
>
> Martin

Slap me around if I am wrong, but I'd wager a small sum that the ability to rebuild (and hence presumably to create) indexes online was only introduced in Oracle 8i. Also, even in 8i, there are big fat warnings written all over the relevant page in the training manuals -'advise students that Oracle still does not recommend that extensive DML is undertaken on a table for which Indexes are being created using the 'online' syntax'.

Also, I think you'll find that it's only b-tree indexes that can be rebuilt online in any case.

Regards
HJR