Re: NT - Installing Multiple Instances - 8.0.5

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:16:13 +1000

<azraiderfan_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8nhd6l$gtr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Currently our company is having great success using Oracle 8.0.5 on NT.
> We're managing some 40 Gig of data across 5 instances.
>
> The only issue is that in managing those 5 instances, we have 5 NT servers
 do
> to Oracle's inability to support multiple instances on a single server.
 I've
> tried contacting their support without successful implementation, and even
> have been able to create multiple SIDs on a given box - - but the box only
> recognizes the common ORACLE_HOME entries and points to one vs.
 another.....

> Suggestions please?

Try harder to contact Oracle Support. Interesting, this inability to support multiple instances on a single server -since on an average training day, Oracle's own server is supporting somewhere around 50 or 60 different Instances (admittedly fairly small ones). I must be doing something wrong!!

Irony aside, Oracle is clearly capable of having multiple Instances running on the one box, and it's ability to do so is limited only by the amount of memory you are prepared to throw at the problem.

You need separate services per Instance, but you don't need separate listeners, and the one tnsnames.ora file will do nicely. The issue of 'the box...points one vs.another' is a configuration issue, and if you configure listener.ora, and tnsnames.ora correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Regards
HJR