Re: Oracle 7.3.4 instance dies on me without any message

From: Adrian Shepherd <theshepherds_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:31:06 +1000

I would trying an upgrade updating to SP5/6. Dr Watson will produce a dump, get it analyzed, it sounds like the service is crashing due to an unhandled OS exception of which the database is not informed. Personally, a 40M cache seems hopeless to start with, shut down the other instances and increase the shared pool size to 40/50M and allocate as much as possible to the buffer pool. Run the job straight after instance startup and get as much info while the job is running on V$transaction, V$waitstat and frequently dump V$waitstat. This may shed some further light. Have a look at the NT event log, there may well be a clue there. You need to have as much info as possible but run it frequently enough so that the last report is just before any crash. My gut feeling is that this may not be a DB issue but a limit of physical resources.

Any chance of cloning this database over to another NT server and tryng it there ? (Hell, it shouldn't be hard to find a bigger spec machine that the one you are running on).