Re: Export problem [urgent help]

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:30:10 +1000

<gopdiv_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8ngt2a$snn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a question , My server has oracle 7.3.4 database and my PC
> has client 8.0.5 with export utilities. I am facing a problem on export
> when I use exp80 system/manager_at_alias to export the 7.3.4 database into
> my PC , it gives me errors as below . Please advice on how to go about
> doing this right.
>
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Thanks,
> With kind regards

The rather counter-intuitive rule is that a high version of export cannot reliably be applied to a low version database. So 8.0 export won't work on a 7.x database.

It *does* work the other way round (ie, 7.x export can be applied to an 8.x database), though you can't export things which make use of new version features (LOBS, for example). You end up with a version 7 dump file.

Seems odd to me (small matters of backward compatibility spring to mind), but that's the way of things!

You need to get hold of the version 7 executables.

Regards
HJR