Mac support of Oracle Jinitiator

From: Troy Curtis <tscurtis_at_primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:48:55 -0700

Our company is using Oracle Jinitiator to access an Oracle Application Server to provide a GUI interface to our Oracle databases.

Unfortunately, when we moved to Jinitiator GUI and away from character-based access, they left all the Macintosh users behind. Mac users must now use Virtual PC or find a PC somewhere.

I've checked with Oracle, and they said Macs do support Oracle Application Server apps using the Apple Applet Runner and MRJ 2.2. The big catch is that the HTML "start" page (which calls to the server and loads the applet) *must* be written in standard java, not Jinitiator-specific java.

I don't suppose anyone knows how to translate the OBJECT and EMBET tagged HTML used by our company into a standard APPLET tag HTML page? This is so low on our IT department's priority list that it won't happen within the next 3-6 months if I wait for their help.

The HTML isn't too heavy, but I'm no HTML jockey and can't figure it out. I've included a sample start page below for reference.

Any help you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated!

Troy

     WIDTH=600      HEIGHT=480       codebase="http://server.company.com:7000/oa-US/jinit11718.exe#Version=1,1,7, 18">

<PARAM NAME="CODE" VALUE="oracle.forms.uiClient.v1_4.engine.Main" >

<PARAM NAME="CODEBASE" VALUE="/oa-java/" >

<PARAM NAME="ARCHIVE" VALUE="/oa-java/oracle/apps/fnd/appscore.jar" >

<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-jinit-applet;version=1.1.7.18">

<PARAM NAME="serverPort" VALUE="9000">

<PARAM name="registryPath"

value="/oa-java/oracle/apps/fnd/formsClient">

<PARAM name="serverArgs"

value="module=/u01/app/appsnca/fnd/7.5/forms/US/FNDSCSGN userid=APPLSYSPUB/l02pn_at_kojak_finprod fndnam=APPS">

<PARAM name="serverApp" value="OracleApplications">

</OBJECT>
</BODY>
</HTML>