Re: 2 Object Placement Questions...

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:11:17 GMT

Answers inline
"Chris England" <chris.england_at_sidetalk.com> wrote:

>1. Can you move tables/objects from one tablespace to another? (Not
>referring to selecting the data out of the existing table, dropping the
>table, recreating it on another tablespace, then sqlloading it) I'd like to
>be able to do this using SQL if possible.

ASAIK, No...in 8.1 you could to do a
 Create table new_table tablespace new_space as  select * from old_table
then
drop old_table
rename new_table to old_table
recreate any constraints, permissions, etc...

>2. Can you/how do you move redo logs. I would like to move the redo logs
>from their current locations in order to reduce possible i/o contention.

Yes...

Do a 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' -- Go to your trace directory and edit the newest *.trc entry....

You can change the location of any of the log files listed by specifying their new locations

Backup your database!
Do it again!

Shutdown normal;

Edit the *.trc file you modified to remove the top section ( read it for instructions) and save it as newloc.sql ( or some name with a .sql extension.)

Move the log files to their new location as specified in the file created above.

Connect internal and run the *.sql you created..

If all goes well, you are nearly done....

Shutdown normal

Backup your database!
Do it again!

Startup....

be Happy

NOTE: while this is not rocket science, it is not trivial either...read up on the 'backup controlfile to trace' before attempting...

hth