Re: Oracle and the Internet

From: Jon Blake <jblake_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:32:00 +1000

The method I use to write client/server apps is to call Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O) from VB. For instance, I can dial up my ISP from home, and run a VB/OO4O program which connects to a remote Oracle database service which I have defined in my PC's tnsnames.ora file. OO4O can be installed from the Oracle Client install CD.

I don't have enough experience with ADO to know whether you could use this instead of OO4O, but you should consider OO4O as a solution, because OO4O will provide you with full access to all Oracle functionality included in the remote database, whereas ADO probably won't. ADO is a "generic" product which might not expose all of the functionality of a connected database.

Hope this helps.

Jon