Re: redo log question...

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 00:57:26 +0100 (BST)

Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid> wrote:
>gdas <gdas1NOgdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>I'm new to this partically area...I have a database created and
>>I would like to increase the redo log 'space'. Currently there
>>are 4 redo log groups with each group having a size of 1024K.
>>
>>I can add more log files using the command "ALTER DATABASE ADD
>>LOGFILE ..."
>>
>>Should I just do that, or does it make sense to resize the
>>existing redo files? My goal is to have ~20M of redo space.
>>

>Wait until your first group is not the current log and has been
>archived then drop it, remove the files at the OS level, and add
>the group back at the new size. Repeat process for each
>remaining group. You can force a redo log switch with the alter
>system switch logfile command.

Do that. Sizing wise, it's advisable for performance to have your redo log files sufficiently big that they don't switch more frequently than every 30 minutes or so, whatever size that is for your workload.

--
Andrew Mobbs - andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk
             - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/