Re: 12154 error

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:23:47 GMT

In article <RcQl5.616$m9.50709_at_news2.bora.net>,   "Lee, Jieun" <jieunyee_at_cyber-link.co.kr> wrote:
> Our web service has about one tns-12154 error per 6 tries.
> applications were written in PHP and I configured 3 oracle environment
> variables
> oracle_sid, oracle_home, nls_lang in /.profile which is root's.
> For peak time , Database sometimes make webserver connect to it ,
> occasionally
> shows 'can not resolve service name' error message.
> Database server is always deficient in memory with only 26M FREE of
 all 1.5G
> memory.
> but the machine only service basic service and database engine.
> so I 've thought that the shortage of memory is the reason of error
> What any other reasons do you think?

If you don't use Oracle Names your tnsnames.ora will completely get loaded in memory. You probably need to dig into why memory is so scarce. I can think of a few reasons
- SGA being configured too big (yes, this can happen, resulting in paging. Guideline is no more than one third of physical memory) - You have numerous connections to from your webserver to Oracle and you are *not* using MTS (so every connection will get a dedicated server process consuming memory).

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply