Large number of Tablespaces 8.1.6

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:58:59 +0100

I am putting together a database design
which looks as if I need about 6,000
tablespaces.

Since the block size is likely to be 16K this looks like a lot of work for SMON to do every three minutes. Especially since I will be using locally managed tablespaces with uniform sizing !

I could hacke sql.bsq to change the cluster SIZE on c_ts#, or set event 10269 to stop the SMON scan. Has anyone had official blessing for doing this, or come up with an alternative ? Has anyone come across any other side-effects from having this many tablespaces ? (This isn't OPS by the way).

--

Jonathan Lewis