Re: How to increase max. no. of datafiles in a database?

From: Scott A. Haas <sahaas_at_lazerlink.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:31:55 -0400

You'll need to do the following steps to recreate a control file ...

svrmgrl> connect internal
svrmgrl> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
svrmgrl> exit

unix> cd $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<SID>/bdump modify the newest trace file in this directory ..... set MAXDATAFILES to whatever you want ..... remove all information from the top of file, up to and including the startup nomount line

svrmgrl>  shutdown immediate
svrmgrl>  startup nomount
svmrgrl>  start  <trace file you just created>
this should recreate your control files .... shutdown and restart database normally .... svrmgrl> alter database backup controlfile to trace; svrmgrl> exit
review newest trace file to ensure MAXDATAFILES is set to what you want