Re: Snapshot of ODBC Database

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/13

In article <8n338l$3iv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Johann Michael <JohannM_at_writeme.com> wrote:

> The ODBC data-source is a host-database with some 100.000nds of rows.
> I heared something about a "gateway" to connect to such datasources.
> ...but we only have a ODBC Driver to connect zu this host.
> We want to replicate to our oracle instace to get a better reporting
> performance.

OK. Oracle does have a product called "Transparent Gateway for ODBC". Docs for this are available at
<http://technet.oracle.com/doc/gateways/tg4odbc/toc.htm>, though you'll probably have to sign into technet before this link will work. This makes it easier to connect to these legacy data stores.

Since you want to move your data from this legacy system to your Oracle database, I'd suggest taking a look at the Oracle Migration Workbanch. Information on this product is available at <http://technet.oracle.com/tech/migration/workbench/>.

If the data you'd like to migrate is *just* data, no stored procedures, no synonyms, etc., it should be rather trivial to write an ODBC app that queries each table in the legacy data store and copies the data to your Oracle database, again using ODBC.

Justin Cave
Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect those of Oracle corporation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Aug 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT