Re: Compatbility of Microsoft Access 97 with Oracle 8

From: Oleg Fedorenkov <ofed_at_com2com.ru>
Date: 2000/08/12

Hi

We had this problem about 4-5 years ago still with Access 2.0, and we had to use number(9) for integer fields on server side (counters-autonumbers usually). I did migration through reengineering Access database into Errwin, changing integer datatypes into number(9) and copied data(with help of the same Access). We are still using Intersolv drivers for Oracle 7 against 8.1.5 database and Access 97, some years ago they showed the best perfomance.
If that precicion (number(9)) is enaugh for you, try it. But, it seems to me, latest 8.1.5-8.1.6 Oracle ODBC are more correct(it seems they recognize NUMBER datatype as double or like that), but now I am not at work to say yu definitely,sorry! Try them himself! To tell the truth (that my point of view), too large systems with Access and Oracle are boring for servicing and they consume too many cursors, and very often Access deside to process statements locally, what cause full table scans and excessive network traffic, so developers should have some experience.

Oleg Fedorenkov, IT consultant