Re: ODBC Date/Time Problem

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

In article <09c4ca10.b6f9d0e8_at_usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com>,   Seajay <seajaysNOseSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> I currently send a date to a stored procedure in Oracle using
> the ODBC date format:
>
> {ts '2000-08-10 12:14:00'}
>
> Unfortunately when it 'gets there' Oracle is only storing the
> Date part and not the Time in the database. I've used an output
> parameter on the stored procedure to display exactly what the
> input parameter was that Oracle received and it just comes back
> as:
>
> 10-Aug-00
>
> So it looks as if the time may be being lost in transfer by
> ODBC. Or is it? Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm willing to bet my eye teeth that the problem here is either: 1) A bug in the ODBC driver that's not sending the time across the wire 2) An error in the application which is binding the parameter incorrectly, i.e. as a date.

Normally, I'd ask you to install the Oracle driver to see if the problem persisted, indicating problem #2. Since you indicate that the Oracle driver was causing you problems, I'll ask if you have another ODBC driver available that you could test with to try to narrow down the problem.

> (I'm using Coldfusion Application Server, Oracle 8i, and the
> Microsoft ODBC drivers for Oracle - Why? Because the Oracle
> drivers give very weird permission errors whent trying to run
> stored procedures via CF and simply swapping the ODBC driver
> gets rid of them all - it took us about three days to find that
> out!)

Hmmm, that doesn't make me happy to hear. Can you explain this in a little more detail, either here or to Justin.Cave_at_oracle.com?

Justin Cave
Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Coropration.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT