Re: Snapshot of ODBC Database

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

In article <8n0ipa$8u5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Johann Michael <JohannM_at_writeme.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to make a snapshot of a ODBC Database?
> If not... is there any 3rd party tool to do such things efficient?

I'm not completely sure what you mean by an ODBC database-- ODBC is a protocol to allow a client to communicate with a database.

If the database you'd like to take a snapshot of has an ODBC driver available, and the database provider doesn't ship a nice snapshot tool like Oracle does, you could make a quick & dirty tool yourself simply by calling SQLTables & SQLColums to get the tables & columns in the database, doing your own select * from <table_name> queries, etc. Note that this is probably only appropriate for very primitive 'databases', i.e. Excel, that have little data & no metadata.

Justin Cave
Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of Oracle Corporation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT