ora-12154 and no trace

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

 I started out with one puzzler, then ran into another on the way to trying to solve the first.

Both client and server machines are NT 4, sp4.

First puzzler: Several developers report getting an ORA-12154 when they try to connect with SQL*Plus, yet have no problem connecting with other tools, such as PowerBuilder, or the applications they are writing.

Second puzzler: I was planning on generating two trace files, so went to the client’s SQLNET.ORA file, set trace_level_client = 16, and trace_directory_client = c:\orant\net80\trace. Then tried to connect with SQL*Plus. Got the 12154, but no trace file! Searched the entire C: drive for it, but no joy.

And now another curiosity -- on my own machine, when I deliberately enter an invalid connect string to generate a 12154, I get a 12203 instead!

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.