moving a "development"database to a "production" server.

From: Harry DePoy <hdepoy_at_stablegate.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

    I am running 8i, 8.1.5.02 on Redhat Linux for both the development and production servers (for a Tomcat, jsp based website going live in 4 days). First of all, I am new to Oracle administration but, I have been running Linux servers for about 2 years. I need to "best" way to move the database from one server to another, both are running RedHat. I am reading on the backup procedure and I have done something similar to this on a Novell 3.12 server running SQLBase, however, Oracle is a bit more tricky. I will be doing this from the command line. So what I have thought of so far is doing a "Consistant Whole database backup" and moving the files to the new server and then "restoring" them. Or can I just copy all the Oracle file tree over to the production server? I setup the servers with identical file system tree so this should not be a problem...at least it would not on a Novell server. My company hired me knowing I didn't know much about Oracle, and I have it installed and running on 2 servers, they are giving me the chance to "learn under fire" and the fire is hot :) Thanks in advance for any help, I may not get much sleep here in the next 4 days, but that comes with the territory :)

Harry

http://www.stablegate.com "wiring the horse industry" Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT