Re: Oracle Names? Pro's and Con's?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/08/11

We use Oracle Names at our site. It's been both good and bad. When it works, it works great! But when it breaks, it can give you fits. Just yesterday, I had to fix a corrupted region database for our Names Servers. The fix was easy enough to implement, but I'm not sure why the region db got corrupted in the first place. Overall, we've had better luck running with a region db than running Names Server without a region db.

There are other alternatives. Our site uses Novell for its client workstations. All of our workstations automatically map a specific drive that we use for Oracle products. You can always put a TNSNAMES.ORA file on a shared drive. Then when you install the Oracle client software on a workstation, you can just create a shortcut in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin to the shared TNSNAMES.ORA file and call the shortcut TNSNAMES.ORA file. When the client software looks for an TNS entry, it will be pointed to the shared drive. This concept does work well as long as the shared drive is accessible.

HTH,Brian

Terry Banicki wrote:

> We are debating the installation of Oracle Names across our enterprise.
> I would like some insight as to the pros and cons of the product.
> Also, are there any alternatives to using Oracle Names? I should
> rephrase that...
> Are there any better alternatives to using Oracle Names or locally
> stored TNS Names?
> Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
> Terry Banicki

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center