Re: Fundamental database design question

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

>to us. Wouldn't it be better to spread
>out the data and index tablespaces across all the 10 available
>disks in a RAID 0 configuration, rather than allocate say 6 disks
>to the data tablespace and 4 disks to the index tablespace
>(of course striped etc. etc...).
>Am I missing something obvious? Any insight would be appreciated.

Here's one. 10 disks, raid 0. 1 disk goes, the whole array goes, no? Is uptime important here?

Also, how many controllers would this be on? You will have channel contention unless you are spread out among multi. controllers & channels w/in the controller. What is the max. throughput of the bus the controller is on? Spread stuff out & you will be happier.

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT