Re: dblink question....

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/08/11

gdas <gdas1NOgdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>Sorry for all the questions...
>I have 2 db instances, connected via dblinks. I've got some
>shared tables which I have synonyms created for. I'm noticing
>that connections are persisting across the links even after
>transactions are completed.
>
>For example, 10 connections into instance #1 that update a
>synonym for a table on instance #2, open 10 sessions on instance
>#2. (verified from v$session)...However, once the inserts are
>finished, the connections are still held on instance #2.
>
>Is there anyway to free up these connections over the dblink
>after the transactions are finished. I'm concerned about
>resource consumption of instance #2.
>
>As an alternative, I've thought about using replication. Or
>possibly creating my own replication procedure (combined with
>the built in oracle scheduler).
>
>Thanks for any advice.

Yes, if you are concerned about the resources used by the distributed transactions you can close the link connection used by a session from the session:

'alter session close database link link_name ;'

You will need to modify the affected programs to contain this command which means the users need alter session privilege or you will need to encapsulate the code in a stored procedure.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT