Re: Ref Cursors Resultsets and ADO

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/08/10

"Keith Jamieson" <Keith.Jamieson_at_phoenix.ie> wrote in message news:8mtpfs$dbg$1_at_kermit.esat.net...
> I currently have tested returning a resultset from ADO
> (both 2.1 and 2.5) , using a stored procedure returning a Ref Cursor.
>
> After the procedure is called 50 times, an Oracel error is returned (Two
> many open cursors).
>
> The max no of open cursors is set to 50 in my Database (probably the
> Default).
>
> Presumably this is beacuse ADO does not close the cursor.
> Is there anything I can do on the server side to overcome this limitation.
> sit possible to close a ref cursor if it is open.
> What is the potential impact.
> What is a sensible no of open cursors to have for a 350 user system
>

> TIA

50 is the default. Usually 500 is more sensible and you will most likely never run out of it. Please note open_cursors is a *per user* limit, so every user will get 500 cursors. Times 350 users can result in heavy memory consumption. You should really try to close that cursor.

Next time, please abandon the excessive crosspost. This is a .server topic and shouldn't get posted to *all* Oracle newsgroups.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT