Re: How can I quickly delete all records from a big table?

From: George <george_at_is.co.za>
Date: 2000/08/10

try disabling the constraints that look to the relevant table and then do the lookup.

If it complains about the truncate and it mentions constraints then you must have missed a constraint somewhere prob.

Truncate is the best option.

good luck

George

Cristian Veronesi <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it> wrote in message news:39925E73.C1097102_at_crpa.it...
What is the quickest way to empty a big table (200000 records) without encountering rollback segment problems? TRUNCATE TABLE does not work because the table has children (but the children are empty!!!). I made a PL/SQL script like this :

begin
  for rec in (
    select pkey from bigtable
  ) loop
    delete from bigtable where pkey = rec.pkey ;     commit ;
  end loop ;
end ;

... but it is very slow and it slows down my system too.

Any suggestion?
TIA, Cris

--
Cristian Veronesi ><((((ยบ> http://www.crpa.it

Tzadikin, tzadikin geyen bom / Reshoyim, reshoyim falen bom
("just people will go ahead, evil people will fall" - yiddish song)