Re: Is there a slowdown in the Oracle market?

From: Big Al <db-guru_at_att.net>
Date: 2000/08/10

vasarpota_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> <<snipped>>>
> What would you reccomend for a new Oracle DBA? Should the person work
> on the internet features to get an edge in the marketplace? What would
> give the person an edge other than OCP (which many not really help
> either)? Should I work with PL/SQL as well or should I concentrate on
> areas like Partitioning, Parallel Query, Parallel Server, Standby
> Databases, Replication? Which of these should I concentrate on?

Do whatever you can to get some actual experience using Oracle. We've been having trouble finding Oracle DBA's in the Chicago area. We hired one DBA with a year's experience because we couldn't find anyone with more. We will train a current employee who we know has good programming and analysis skills to be a DBA before we hire someone with just class knowledge. It helps with employee retention for people to see others trained and promoted versus always hiring new people. We have an additional opening, but we have one employee in training and one new employee with a year experience so we won't hire anyone else without experience because we can't afford to have three rookies.

Big Al Received on Thu Aug 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT