Re: Mystery ORA-1034 (Oracle Not Available)

From: <mwatling_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/10

Deirdre,

After performing the Oracle install you need to run the root.sh script in the $ORACLE_HOME/orainst directory as root. This sets up all the special permissions needed by oracle.

If it's saying oracle not available, then it's likely that your ORACLE_SID is not correct. A program inherits the shell variables at the point of starting up, so if you started the PHP/Web server without these variables set it won't be able to connect to Oracle. Also remember that the $PATH for the shell that starts PHP/Web needs to include the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs.....

Regards,
Mark.

In article <8mpo56$dq4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   deirdre_at_deirdre.net wrote:
> I've been trying to hook up PHP4 to use Oracle and, as the problem may
> be a permissions issue, I thought I'd post here as I've exhausted help
> on the PHP lists.
>
> I'm using Red Hat Linux 6.2, PHP4 (a late snapshot, though I've
 tried),
> statically built into Apache 1.3.12 with threading support. I have
> verified that PHP and Apache are built with threads via ldd (this is
> work around a glibc 2.1 bug). I have rebuilt the kernel with the
 shared
> memory and rebooted. This is Oracle 8i (8.1.6).
>
> I am able to start the database and issue commands from within
 sqlplus.

> I am running my web server as an Oracle privileged user (oracle)
> temporarily while debugging. So it *should* work.
>
> But, when I try to connect, I get "ORA-1034: Oracle not available."
>
> When I was using php's OCI logon, I was not specifying an ORACLE_SID
 as
> I'm running the database on the web server locally. (This is just a
 test
> setup for proof-of-concept so that's fine). The ORACLE_SID is
 correctly
> set in the environment, as are all the expected variables.
>
> However, I think somehow *something* didn't get done as yesterday I
 had
> to explicitly chmod the oracle binary so other users could log in. My
> guess is that was probably done in some script that didn't get run and
> this may be part of the side effects.
>
> Does anyone have *any* useful ideas? I am a moderately experienced
> Oracle DBA, but this has really been frustrating.
>
> _Deirdre
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Aug 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT