Re: Mystery ORA-1034 (Oracle Not Available)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/08/09

<deirdre_at_deirdre.net> wrote in message news:8mpo56$dq4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I've been trying to hook up PHP4 to use Oracle and, as the problem may
> be a permissions issue, I thought I'd post here as I've exhausted help
> on the PHP lists.
>
> I'm using Red Hat Linux 6.2, PHP4 (a late snapshot, though I've tried),
> statically built into Apache 1.3.12 with threading support. I have
> verified that PHP and Apache are built with threads via ldd (this is to
> work around a glibc 2.1 bug). I have rebuilt the kernel with the shared
> memory and rebooted. This is Oracle 8i (8.1.6).
>
> I am able to start the database and issue commands from within sqlplus.
>
> I am running my web server as an Oracle privileged user (oracle)
> temporarily while debugging. So it *should* work.
>
> But, when I try to connect, I get "ORA-1034: Oracle not available."

Which means that the Instance you are trying to connect to doesn't exist. So either start it up, or work out why your commands appear to be trying to connect to a non-existent Instance, and fix *that* up.

As far as I can tell, these are the only two possibilities. Doing voodoo with chmod on various binaries is not exactly going to help you when the cause of this particular error message is extremely well known (in general terms)

HJR