Re: PLEASE . . . [ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel]

From: Brad <vaneps_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/09

In article <8mohn3$7g7$1_at_news6.isdnet.net>,   "Jérome SAVIN" <jsn_at_gepdiff.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> ORACLE_SID is set to GEP
> 127.0.0.1 localhost in /etc/hosts
>
> How can I know if IPC mode is enable on my stsytem?

This is a selectable option when installing protocol drivers when Oracle is built. For a common installation, there are two ways of connecting to a database - using a network protocol or an implementation of IPC's. For instance, say you are actually logged in on the same server that the Oracle database is running on and you want to connect to an instance called ORAC (original, I know). Assuming you have left the default test user scott enabled (which you shouldn't for security reasons), you could connect with:

    sqlplus scott/tiger_at_orac
This type of connection uses the networking protocol you have selected, usually TCP/IP nowdays. It doesn't actually care what your current Oracle SID environment variable is set to - it will try to connect to ORAC, as this is what you have specified.

The other way to connect is with just:

    sqlplus scott/tiger
as you have already set your Oracle SID to ORAC and as the database is on the same box you are logged in on, sqlplus knows which database to connect to. However, these connections are NOT made using the network - they use IPC instead. So, if you can do this you should have some type of IPC installed. I believe the actual method of IPC implementation may vary between OS's, but the result is the same. SVRMGL uses IPC's, which is why they are usually installed by default.

 Brad van Eps     vaneps_at_my-deja.com

 OS/2 WARPed for REAL power!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT