Re: dbassist vs create database ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

"Uwe Schneider" <us_at_webde-ag.de> wrote in message news:398EDB8B.C59ABDA7_at_webde-ag.de...
> Hi Brad,
>
> Brad Lotsberg wrote:
> >
> > Oracle 8i 8.1.5 on Sun sparc Solaris ...
> >
> > I had a look at the scripts generated by dbassist (save commands to
> > script instead of create database now option) and they seem to do a lot
> > more than what a 'create database' sql command does. In particular I am
> > wondering about the several other scripts that are run to create the
> > system tables and views. These other scripts are not mentioned in the
> > sql documentation for 'create database'. What happens if you do use
> > 'create database', but don't run these scripts? Do you get a database
> > with no system tables? If so, is the database useable? Also, who
> > creates files like init<sid>.ora, etc?
> >
> > I am writing a Sybase->Oracle conversion utility to suit my needs using
> > the OCI. It is basically done and works well, however it currently
> > requires an empty Oracle database to exist already. I would like to
> > include the creation of the database in my application, but I'm not sure
> > how well one can reproduce what dbassist does just by issuing sql
> > statements via the OCI.
> >

> I found the generated SQL scripts quite useful (8.1.5 under Linux,
> should be very similar to the Solaris version). In my opinion a naked
> database out tof the "CREATE DATABSE" statement is almost unusable,
> since it lacks all the DD views, PL/SQL support...)

Absolutely. That's why you never create a database without immediately afterwards running catalog.sql and catproc.sql, which -er, create DD views and enable PL/SQL support. And documentation since year dot has suggested the need to run these scripts, so I can't think why anyone would even contemplate not doing it.

> You could perhaps skip the execution of the last script. I think it has
> a lot to do with Java and CORBA within the database kernel.

If by the 'last script' you mean 'catproc.sql', then no, you can't afford to skip it. Not only does it enable PL/SQL support, but it creates a raft of packages without which you will be utterly stuffed. Fancy doing an 'alter session' command?? To do so requires a package that catproc.sql builds. Need to keep a piece of SQL in the Library Cache? Yup -you have to have run catproc first. Want to work with LOBS? Catproc once more. You'd be mad not to run it.

Regards
HJR