Oracle 8.0.5 on Red Hat 6.0

From: Mark Baker <mrbaker_at_freeuk.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

About 3 or 4 months ago I downloaded a tar file of Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux.

I've just got round to trying to install it and have got as far as un-tarring the
contents to the $ORACLE_HOME area:

/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5

and all the usual oracle directories are present.

I've already set up the oracle user, dba group and the environment variables.

The /etc/oratab has manually been created - owned by oracle too, empty.

So far so good. But what now?

I tried switching to $ORACLE_HOME/orainst and ran ./orainst but it keeps asking me to mount a disk. There is no disk - it came from a "tarball".

The documentation seems to have a gap here so where do I go from here? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks -
Mark Received on Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT