Re: How to grant me permissions to my own tables ?

From: Christopher Burke <craznar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

In article <398EBD0E.C4073DD7_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>, Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:

>> In my 15 years of programming and databasing, I had never come across a
>> language that doesn't PRESERVE case, but RESPECTS it. I have been doing
>> SQL for around 10 years, MS-SQL  solidly for 3 years - and now I get a
>> chance to work with a real DB, I am finding that programming, database
>> development and the like have so far taken less than 20% of my time.
>> The other 80% seems to be ironing out quirks in the system, quirks
>> possibly preserved through time since version 1.

> Quirks in the system, or filling in the gaps in your knowledge?

Gaps in my knowledge are things like PL/SQL and the like. Quirks are  illogical things that must be learnt only by error. This is a quirk - no other language uses this philosophy for identifiers.

>> In Oracle (with a table called Fred - note the case).
>>
>>   select * from Fred
>>
>> it first uppercases the Fred -> FRED
>>
>> then has the hide to tell me it cannot find FRED.

> This only happened because you used quotes around the table name when
> you created it. When you use the quotes, it preserves the case. For
> instance, you apparently used:
> CREATE TABLE "Fred" AS ......
>
> If you had used:
> CREATE TABLE Fred AS .....
>
> Then all of the following queries would have worked:
> SELECT * FROM Fred; SELECT * FROM FRED; SELECT * FROM fReD; etc...
>
> I may be wrong about this but I believe that not preserving case, unless
> explicitly stated by the quotes, is in compliance with the SQL-92
> standard.

Well I didn't put quotes around it to create it, as a matter of fact I hadn't even used quotes before. The tables were created from an ODBC source.

All I can say is - its illogical to discard case AND respect it in the syntax of any language.