Re: Realistic administration duties

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

Hi all,

Thanks for responding. :)

True, in a hot market, you can always find another position. However, I'm one to believe that you have to make things right, be it a system, or in your life. It's rare to get anything that's perfect.

And, as much work as it is, my boss is actually one of the best that I have ever worked with (the others were real bozos.).

In the meantime, can anyone else list what their duties are, either as a DBA, or as a sysadmin? The published stuff that was pointed out was great.

Ideally, I would like to keep the DBA and Unix work, and have someone else admin this app, which is full time work. I want to convince the brass that such by itself is full time work.

Ciao,

Argosy

In article <8mk43f$e92$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> HI experienced admins,
>
> I'm hoping that some of you can outline the scope
> of your duties.
>
> I was hired six months ago as an Oracle DBA. They
> then said, oh, you get to do the Unix admin too.
>
> We have a very complex and unstable application
> on the web. What I actually spend most of my
> time doing is administering this awful application.
> There are 14 different pieces of software involved
> in this one app! They have plans to make it
> even more complex!
>
> As a result, the real DBA, and Unix admin duties,
> such as backups (!!!!) are not being tended to,
> or even looked at properly.
>
> In most of my previous positions, the Unix admins, and
> the DBAs were not very closely associated with the app.
> They mostly kept the servers and databases running.
> (At one shop, any simple request (chmod) had to be put
> in paper writing!) Senior developers, operations, or
> managers administered the application.
>
> However, all this has been thrown at me. I don't have time
> to read and research properly all the issues that I need
> to deal with. (Thanks to all of you for answering
> my postings.) It really burns me out.
>
> I'm wondering:
> - how would you describe the typical duties of a Unix admin,
> or a DBA? What parts are the most fundamental?
>
> - how involved are you administrators with administering
> your company's app?
>
> - do you know in depth all the other development tools,
> Java, ColdFusion, Perl, HTML, the awful workflow system that
> you bought, etc.?
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Argosy
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT