Re: How to do a limited select without using a where clause?

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

Actually you can....as far as Oracle is concerned the 'Order by MyOrder' statement IS the last component in the query ( the query in this case is a subquery ) ....It will work as written...

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.5 - Production With the Partitioning option
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.5 - Production

johnmas:oracle SQL> select * from ( select empl_nbr from   2 hrdata where empl_stat_cd = 'A' order by empl_nbr)   3 where rownum < 8;

EMPL_NBR

00001018
00004079
00004417
00005381
00005648
00005782
00006969

7 rows selected.

:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are over 5000 records in the source table but this returned only 7 in low to high order....

Good luck...

cjaouich_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Thanks for the response, but I can only use the order by in the last
>component of the query (as per Ora doc)... Any other ideas? Thanks
>
>-Cyril
>------------------------------------
>Opérations téléphonie IP - Vidéotron
>Vidéotron - IP Telephony Operations
>------------------------------------
>
>In article <F4155D9F9AA4D111B9990020AFBA52D53E0D50_at_class06.ip061.sfi-
>software.com>,
> "Mark" <markag_at_wonderstats.com> wrote:
>> Do something like this:
>>
>> SELECT * FROM
>> (SELECT * FROM YOUR_TABLE
>> WHERE MYCOL = MYCRITERIA
>> ORDER BY MYORDER)
>> WHERE ROWNUM <= 20;
>>
>> The inner select returns your data set, the outer select limits the
 number
>> of rows.

 $e5c$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...