Re: Is it a good idea to run Oracle on Intel/NT?

From: Brad <vaneps_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

G'Day,

  Until recently, we have had 1 Oracle instance running on NT with all the rest on Solaris at my work. Compared to running the same Oracle instance on a little Sun Ultra-5 workstation, Oracle on NT runs like a dog. It is stable enough if Oracle is the ONLY thing on the server (NT4, latest servicepacks), but its speed is certainly lacking. Made my day to get increased performance and reduced administration when I got to move the aforementioned instance to an Ultra-5!

  For scalability, speed and reliability, avoid NT - especially if you want to run more than one instance on the server. Oracle runs great on OpenVMS and Unix. Even Oracle 7.3 on OS/2 is much faster than on NT!

 Brad van Eps vaneps_at_my-deja.com
 OS/2 WARPed for REAL power!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT