Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

In article <8l2ujm$m0q$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   juturi_at_workmail.com wrote:
> do you have more than one installation of the oracle client on the
> client machine?
>
> Do a file find for "tnsnames.ora" on all the drives.
>
> In article <eqy8gdQ8$GA.287_at_cpmsnbbsa09>,
> "Ling" <circetsui_at_email.msn.com> wrote:
> > Hi Felix,
> >
> > Have you tried TNSPing on the client machine to see if it can reach
 the
> > database?
> >
> > ling
> > <felixseto_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8l2ik7$d21
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > I am trying to connect to an Oracle 8.1.6 database and the
 connection
> > > test was succesfull from Net8 assistant, but failed from SQLPlus.
 The
> > > error was ORA-12154:TNS:could not resolve service name. The
 SQLPlus on
> > > the Oracle 8.1.6 Server itself can connect successfully but on a
 remote
> > > machine it fails. I've also checked the tnsnames.ora and
 listener.ora
> > > files and they appear to be correct. Any ideas? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Felix
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Make sure when you are connecting from the server to the server that you are using IP and not IPC. If you are setting the oracle_sid and just saying 'sqlplus', you are IPC and if you are saying 'sqlplus uid_at_service_name' then you are using IP (or a protocol other than IPC). Thus there may be an invalid comparison to server works, remote pc does not.

Check sqlnet.ora. NET8 assistant tries to be helpful and modifies the server's sqlnet.ora so the default domain is the ip domain of the server. If your remote box is trying to resolve to say .WORLD then you will get this message.

HTH -

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA