dbassist vs create database ?

From: Brad Lotsberg <lotsberg_at_willowglen.ab.ca>
Date: 2000/08/07

Oracle 8i 8.1.5 on Sun sparc Solaris ...

I had a look at the scripts generated by dbassist (save commands to script instead of create database now option) and they seem to do a lot more than what a 'create database' sql command does. In particular I am wondering about the several other scripts that are run to create the system tables and views. These other scripts are not mentioned in the sql documentation for 'create database'. What happens if you do use 'create database', but don't run these scripts? Do you get a database with no system tables? If so, is the database useable? Also, who creates files like init<sid>.ora, etc?

I am writing a Sybase->Oracle conversion utility to suit my needs using the OCI. It is basically done and works well, however it currently requires an empty Oracle database to exist already. I would like to include the creation of the database in my application, but I'm not sure how well one can reproduce what dbassist does just by issuing sql statements via the OCI.

Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

Brad Lotsberg, EET.

lotsbergNO_at_SPAM.willowglen.ab.ca (remove NO SPAM to reply of course) Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT