3rd-party Oracle Hot Backup software??

From: Kate Kwiatek <kmkwiatek_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

Looking for advice on Oracle hot backup software for database on Sun SPARC where disk volumes are managed by Veritas Volume Manager (vxfs  filesystems).....

 We are currently bringing down the database every night for cold backups of all datafiles and control files via dump/vxdump. The routine is to copy files
 to another disk first, then dump the copies to tape, and the process takes about 4 hours. We have to find a backup solution that allows us to take hot  backups with the database open. I don't want to deal with the antiquated RMAN command prompt/scripting stuff (even though some GUI stuff can be  done through Enterprise Manager). Our site sys admin is shopping for an enterprise backup software solution, but it looks like cost is the driving  factor (so it looks like Veritas
 Netbackup + Database Edition for Oracle with Quick IO is out as well as any Legato solution because our site sysadmin has had bad experience with  Legato). He is seriously looking at QuickRestore, but they have no module for Oracle hot backup. QuickRestore is toting something from BMC  software called SQL Backtrack as an add-on of some kind to deal with Oracle hot backup/restore, but I'm leary of that product due to Oracle's past  warning on the product and lack of in-depth testing of the product by Oracle.

 Does anyone out there have any similar experience with integrating 3rd party Oracle Backup products with Oracle and whatever enterprise backup  software they are using, specifically with QuickRestore and a vendor other than BMC? There is a list of "BSP Members" on the Oracle web site, but  most of them look like you have to buy their backup software and their agents (which we really will already have backup software through the  QuickRestore) for Oracle hot backup solution. So in this case, I think I just need an agent. If I just purchase an "agent" what do I need to look for to
 integrate it with the enterprise software (IF this is even necessary...) and Oracle (is RMAN integration required..?).

 Thanks all! Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT