Re: can I update data without using rollback segment?

From: Karen <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

Tom,

Unfortunately, I have to object. First, the original poster means rollback segments, not redo logs. Second, NOLOGGING not exactly turns off logging for DML. Third, Oracle does not allow just to turn off rollback segments, because in this case other transactions would have to read uncommitted data.

There is no way and there is no need to get rid of rollback segments because it is one of the features that makes Oracle exceptional. If the performance is a concern, there is a number of things that can be tuned to make things faster. One of the obvious things is to put rollback segments on another disk.

Regards
Karen.