Re: Database Comparison Info

From: Larry <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

Craig,

Serge has made some very good points. The only thing you're going to get here in these newsgroups are biased opinions. The fact is ... "business decisions" and "comparison checklists" are mutually exclusive. To bring a db choice down to the feature/function level will guarantee that it will turn into a popularity contest. What you need to do is to take a look at your application requirements and generate your selection criteria from that. THEN study the features/functions of each database and how each addresses your key requirements. In other words, if you start from your BUSINESS or application requirements, you will be certain to make a BUSINESS decision. If you start with a feature function checklist, you are beginning with someone else's opinion about the db. Kinda like asking Car and Driver magazine to tell you which car they liked the best without knowing what you need in a new car (e.g. need enough room for a family of 4, need price to be less than $40,000, etc.).

Perhaps if you related some of your key business requirements, someone could respond back with something more useful that would compare the particular features that might address those requirements in each database.