Re: How to grant me permissions to my own tables ?

From: Christopher Burke <craznar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

Well - finally found out the problem ... it wasn't a permissions problem at all.

Just a stupid behaviour of SQLPlus - that I am now aware of.

In my 15 years of programming and databasing, I had never come across a language that doesn't PRESERVE case, but RESPECTS it. I have been doing SQL for around 10 years, MS-SQL solidly for 3 years - and now I get a chance to work with a real DB, I am finding that programming, database development and the like have so far taken less than 20% of my time. The other 80% seems to be ironing out quirks in the system, quirks possibly preserved through time since version 1.

In Pascal - the idenitifier Fred = FRED = FreD, that is it doesn't respect case, but does preserve it. In C - the identifier Fred <> FRED <> FreD, that is it DOES respect case - AND it preserves it. In earlier BASICs - the identifer Fred gets changed to FRED, that is it doesn't respect OR preserve case.

In Oracle (with a table called Fred - note the case).

  select * from Fred

it first uppercases the Fred -> FRED

then has the hide to tell me it cannot find FRED.

So it looks like I'll be using alot of quotes from now one.

Grrrr