Re: dates in where clause using to_date and =

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

The date datatype can be viewed as a "continuous" rather than a "discrete" variable for practical purposes. That means, that one identifies a correct value by positioning the given value within an interval or acceptable margin of error. In the case of dates this interval is often a whole day, but it could be a shorter interval.

The reason you are having trouble with the equals sign is that the equals sign is generally not useful with respect to datatypes that represent continuous variables.

Frank Hubeny