Re: Oracle 8i TNS Error

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

 Daniel> From SQL Plus I can create tables but I still can not  Daniel> connect to my service name because ...

I am a bit confused here. How do you know you have created a table, unless you can select from it? What instance are you creating the table on and what instance are you trying to select from?

 Daniel> the TNS keeps saying it cannot resolve the service name.

When I see this error, the tnsnames.ora file isn't set up correctly. An entry in this file will look like the following:

,----

| servicename.world=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
|         (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = tcp.world) (PROTOCOL = TCP)
|                 (Host = name.of.host) (Port = 1521))
|         (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = tcp.world) (PROTOCOL = TCP)
|                 (Host = name.of.host) (Port = 1526)))
|         (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = oracle.instance.name)))
`----
1) Make sure you can ping name.of.host.
2) Make sure that you try "tnsping servicename"
3) Make sure that the connection through sqlplus looks like

,----
| sqlplus login/password_at_servicename
`----

Hope this helped.