Re: Is it a good idea to run Oracle on Intel/NT?

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: 2000/08/07

You may as well just ask which religion is correct :-)

However - I support 60+ Oracle instances on UNIX and NT, a dozen Sybase databases on Unix and NT and nearly 2 dozen MSSQL on NT.

My perspective: If you know how to do NT right, it can be just fine. We have several 100+GB DBs with hundreds os users connected almost 24x7 and some nasty batch cycles running fine on NT. On some NT servers we run 4-5 instances at once with no issues. On NT I do like to do occasional reboots however. It's just good form if you can work it in.

I will also say (i expect to get spammed on this) based on my non scientific testing, NT is actually a bit faster on small to medium sized DBs. I atribute this to NTs use of threads and avoiding some of the IPC overheard of UNIX. Context swithes are a lot cheaper in a threaded environment. Larger DBs do appear to do better in UNIX.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying NT is better than UNIX. However the reasons why Unix are strong are pretty self evident and go beyond 'unix has been around longer' or invalid comparisons to NT's MSDOS origin. It's like anything else, It is a tool that has strengths and weaknesses. So it comes down to your application requirements and where do you have the expertise in your shop. If you don't know how to do UNIX right it will not work just like NT will not work if you don't know it.

HTH -

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA