Re: Anyone else hate the Universal Installer?

From: Scott Howell <scotthowell_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 2000/08/05

I don't hate it quite yet, but it is a PAIN!! One of your problems may be that you have another JVM that you loaded on the machine you are installing it on. I have had really bad luck when someone has installed Sun's Java 1.2.2 JVM off of Suns website. I think the Oracle UI uses the 1.1.x version of Java. Also one word of advice, be patient!!!, especially on NT. The OUI can turn a quad 400 MHZ Xeon machine into a '286 in a hurry. AWT/Swing (whatever OUI is using) is not efficient at all with graphics. Also Java's file handling (reading, copying, etc) is slow, at least the way Oracle is doing it. Oracle's installers have never been that great anyway, but since they went to the Java 'solution' (write once, wait everywhere) things have gotten worse. I am a BIG fan of Java when it is used as servlets, jsp's, server side stuff), but it is plain awful on the client side. JSQL performs adequate, for the most part though, but the verdict is still out on that one!