Re: File size: Bigger or smaller?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/08/04

sergey_s_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Sorry. The OS is SunOS 5.7
>
> In article <gc2koso8aqhokhm79vngqlhuu3tvgnhjp4_at_4ax.com>,
> Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_i84.net> wrote:
> > I think it would depend on at the very least your operating system
> > which you didn't mention. AIX functions better with smaller files
> > around 1GB, but I can't verifiy for others.
> >
> > - Dc.
> >
> > On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 22:02:40 GMT, sergey_s_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > >Which is better for data warehouse performance: Bigger files or
 smaller
> > >ones (2 Gig or greater)? We have a table about 300 Gig in size
 striped
> > >over RAIDs. Should we increase the file size from 2 Gig to something
> > >else? We are running 8.0.6
> > >

> > >Thank you!
> > >
> > >Sergey
> > >

> > >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > >Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Some version of Solaris (can't remember which) used to do asynch filesystem io only up to 2G (of course, it you're raw it doesn't matter)..

Generally the only downside with lots of files is that the write batch size can be distorted and checkpoints can be slower...Making as many tablespaces read-only as possible would assist...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse