Re: Datafiles

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: 2000/08/03

This might be a little easier...
You don't have to do a full cold restore, you can do it with just system datafiles and this datafile if you have a consistent cold backup of these to go with your datafile... Find an area for a new database..(consisting of just that one datafile and the system datafiles, rollbacks and redo logs wouldn't hurt either )
I think if you bring up the database in nomount mode you can offline drop every other file except the one your interested in. (and system, redo and rollback)

This essentially simulates bringing up a database that is so damaged that almost every disk drive has crapped out on you...

You should then be able to open the database and then take an export of the table,, jam it in the "real database"..

Something along these lines does work, I have restored a large production Oracle financial database on a test box with just 5 datafiles of the original 200 just to run some reports, and this might save you the time of doing major cold restores and backups which take a lot of room.

If you have problems.. e-mail me... I'll go back to my notes and figure out how I did this..

HOWEVER - if all you have is this lone copy of a datafile, I think your out of luck.. I think it's useless by itself.. but I retain hope of sneaky tricky things. Theoretically, there should seem to be some way to pull tables out of a lone datafile, but I don't think it's been done yet.. Proprietary stuff you know...