Re: Installing Oracle 8i on linux whitout X ?

From: Stefan Roesch <Stefan.Roesch_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2000/08/03

> There was an ascii installer on 8.1.5 for Linux, it is probably on 8.1.6.
> Look in the install directory.

This is definitely false. The last time the ascii installer was shipped was with version 8.0.X
With version 8.0.X you can install with an ascii terminal.

> I have used both X and the ascii version, I prefer the ascii. It
> has the advantage of working without the many GUI user interface
> problems I saw in the X versions.

With version 8.1.X there is a silent installation available. But this version also needs the x libraries installed. Version 8.1.X installer is a java application - therefore you the X libraries and an X display.

> The ascii version has gruesome GUI problems but they have been
> consistent for years.

Hope this helps

Stefan Received on Thu Aug 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT