Re: How to "Case Insensitive"

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/08/02

There is *no* global setting.
This is because only the Microsoft Realm (aka the Evil Empire) is case-insensitive, while the rest of the world is case-sensitive. There are three solutions to this
- use UPPER(columnname) = <expression>
  this will result in full table scans
- create redundant columns with the UPPERcased contents of the mixed case columns and index them
- In Oracle 8i, Enterprise Edition, use function-based indexes.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA