catch-22: oraenv breaks dbstart???

From: <eskimo1234_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

Config: Oracle8i 8.1.5, HP-UX 11.0

I set up my "oracle" user to have this as the last line of his $HOME/.profile:

     . /usr/local/bin/oraenv

as page4-10 of the Ora. Install Guide suggests. All was hunky-dory until I tried to create the "dbora" startup/shutdown script. The syntax suggested (in the manual and in old deja news postings) is:

     su - oracle -c "lsnrctl start; dbstart"

I tried testing this while logged in as root. It doesn't work. What happens is that due to the "-" in "su -", it reads the oracle user's .profile, which runs oraenv, which exec's a new shell at the end

==> the "lsnrctl start; dbstart" never get run, and even worse,

         I get left in an interactive oracle user ksh!

I tried dropping the "-" from "su -" and passing in all the env variables via env(1), but it didn't work: lots of error msgs.

I tried creating a second acct, "oracle2", which has the same env. variables as "oracle", but doesn't run oraenv at the end, but that failed: the dbstart didn't start the db. No error msgs, just no running db.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Eskimo
eskimo1234_at_my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT