export/import between diff. char sets

From: Wei Tian <wtian_at_metaedge.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

Hi all,

I am having problem exporting and importing between different character sets. I did a full database export for the Vision Demo DB that comes with Oracle Application 11.0.3 on NT. The character set of the Vision Demo DB is WE8ISO8859P1. Then I created a new database with Japanese character set JA16EUC. When I tried to import the dump file into the new database, I got several errors.

The first error is with the CRTBOX table: I got error messages: ..
ORA-01401:inserted value too large for column

I suspect this might be cause by the character conversion, sine JA16EUC is not a superset of WE8ISO8859P1.

Other errors are related to APPS objects. They thousands of invalid objects after the import. I tried to recomiple most of them manually, but still ,there are several dozens left that just won't compile. I kept on getting error messages like:

insufficient previledge accessing SYS.DBMS_LOCK, etc.

Has anyboby have experience doing import/export between different character set? What is the correct approach to do the import/export in my case? Specificlly, how to create a Vision Demo database in Japanese since I am trying to install NLS11 Japanese on Oracle Application 11.0.3.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wei Tian Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT