Re: Performance with synonyms???

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/08/02

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:28:40 -0500, Douglas Scott <dsscott_at_ev1.net> wrote:

>Is there a performance hit if you use all public synonyms for a schema's
>objects vs fully qualifying the schema's object? Example: if I want to
>query from the emp table in the scott schema is it better to select from
>scott.emp or just emp where there is a public synonym defined as
>scott.emp. I was told there was back in the old days (Oracle version
>5).

AFAIK, the impact is at parse time, not at execution time. Nowadays with the dictionary being half-cached anyway in the shared sql area, this is very relative.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT